The Armenian Studies Program wishes to express its appreciation to two foundations for making generous contributions to the Program during the year.
For the fifteenth consecutive year, the Bertha and John Garabedian Charitable Foundation has awarded Prof. Barlow Der Mugrdechian and the Armenian Studies Program a grant for scholarships and on-going projects. This year’s grant was for $5,000.
John Garabedian (1909-1992) was a generous patron of the Armenian Studies Program back in the 1980s. Dr. Kouymjian, then Director of the Program, visited him on his farm several times, and Mr. Garabedian returned the visits to the campus. During the fund drive for the Haig and Isabel Berberian Endowed Chair in Armenian Studies, John Garabedian pledged $100,000, half of which he contributed before his death. A special plaque commemorating the gift can be viewed on the third floor of the Leon S. Peters Business Building, which houses the Center for Armenian Studies and the Program offices.
Thanks to the Garabedian Grant, dozens of students have benefited over the years from special research grants and scholarships.
The Thomas A. Kooyumjian Family Foundation made a new and generous donation of $17,800 to the Armenian Studies Program. The Foundations’ gift will be used for a variety of purposes by the Armenian Studies Program and the Center for Armenian Studies. The Armenian Studies Program thanks the Kooyumjian Foundation for their generosity.